33 Things Kids Should Do Before They’re 10
Have your children experienced the 33 things they should do before they’re 10?
Have they cycled through a muddy puddle, made perfume from flower petals, organised a teddy bears’ picnic or baked bread, asks Sarah Stone.
The list was compiled last year by the washing powder company Persil to encourage children to experience different types of play without the worry of getting dirty. According to Persil, one third of children avoid certain forms of fun because they are too concerned about getting grubby.
A plug for washing powder it may be, but I do think the list stands on its own merits as an excellent childhood checklist. My nine-year-old daughter and I stuck it up on the fridge and tick off the activities as she does them. She started off on a pretty good footing, having completed 23 of the 33 things listed, and now we’ve just got two to go: camping out in the garden (yes, but only if I sit up in the kitchen keeping watch all night with an intravenous drip of coffee attached to one hand and a baseball bat to the other); and making and flying a kite (well, she’s flown plenty of kites, but make one? I’m sure there’ll be instructions in my Blue Peter annual circa 1976).
Anyway, why not get your kids to take the challenge work their way through the list (although making snow angels – No. 16 – will have to wait). Ooh, and take a look at No. 32 – you might even get breakfast in bed.
1. Roll on your side down a grassy bank
2. Make a mud pie
3. Make your own modelling dough mixture
4. Read under the bedcovers with a torch
5. Make perfume from flower petals
6. Grow cress on a windowsill
7. Make a papier mâché mask
8. Build a sandcastle
9. Climb a tree
10. Make a den in the garden
11. Make a painting using your hands and feet
12. Organise your own teddy bears’ picnic
13. Have your face painted
14. Play with a friend in the sand
15. Make some bread
16. Make snow angels
17. Create a clay sculpture
18. Take part in a scavenger hunt
19. Camp out in the garden
20. Bake a cake
21. Feed a farm animal
22. Pick some strawberries
23. Play Pooh sticks
24. Recognise five different bird species
25. Find some worms
26. Ride a bike through a muddy puddle
27. Make and fly a kite
28. Plant a tree
29. Build a nest out of grass and twigs
30. Find ten different leaves in the park
31. Grow vegetables
32. Make breakfast in bed for your parents
33. Make a mini assault course in your garden/the park